Protect Yourself From Spyware
You are here:
Internet Family Fun Home > Internet Help > Protect Yourself From Spyware
Spyware - Tips to Keep Spyware Off Your Computer
Spyware or adware is rampant. Spyware and adware are programs that are installed on your computer (often without your knowledge) that sends your information to advertisers or identity thieves or will send advertising to you. Spyware can slow your computer down to the point that it is almost unusable and can damage your computer to the point that it has to be reformatted. Here are some tips to protect yourself from spyware.
Tips to Protect Yourself from Spyware
- Read User Agreements Before Clicking Yes to Protect Yourself from Spyware
User agreements often contain warnings that other software will be installed if you agree. Learn more about Agreeing To User Agreements to protect yourself from spyware.
- Be Careful of Advertising That Looks Like Windows Warnings to Protect Yourself from Spyware
When online, some advertisements are cleverly disguised to look like Windows warning dialog windows when they are a way to install spyware on your computer. One of the catches are that no matter if you click yes or no, the results are the same - spyware is installed.
- Carefully Read Windows Warnings That Present Themselves While Surfing to Protect Yourself from Spyware
Often Internet Explorer or Windows will warn you when a program is trying to be installed - often that is spyware. Carefully read the warning and don't just click yes so you can go on surfing. Make sure to warn your children about this.
- Install a Program to Detect Spyware and Scan Often to Protect Yourself from Spyware
Programs are available to detect and remove spyware. The basic version of AdAware is a free program that it will get rid of spyware on your computer.
- Be Leery of Visiting Websites That Aren't Well Known to Protect Yourself from Spyware
Consider the Internet as a big city - if you wander around the seamier side of town, you could get hurt. In this case we are talking about getting spyware on your computer.
- Update Windows and Your Browser to Protect Yourself from Spyware
All versions of Windows and browsers have security holes. Often these security holes aren't found until virus and spyware writers find them. Once they are found, then patches can be added to original program to secure the hole. The only way to do this is to regularly update Windows and your browser so spyware is not installed on your computer.
- Be Leery of Installing Shareware and Free Programs to Protect Yourself from Spyware
Not all programs that are free or low-cost are necessarily bad but you need to be careful. Often programs that are given away for free will contain spyware so the author and distributor can make money from it.
- Install a Firewall to Protect Yourself from Spyware
Installing a firewall can protect you from unwanted intruders and spyware programs. Here is more about firewalls and computer security.
- Increase Windows Security Settings to Protect Yourself from Spyware
There are many ways to increase the security for the Windows operating system to avoid spyware. You should learn more about computer security.
Following these tips and being careful will help to protect you from spyware.
More Internet Help
This site recommends Amazon.com for online shopping: