Federal Holiday Facts
You are here:
Holidays > Federal Holiday Facts
What Holidays are Federal Holidays, What is Closed on Federal Holidays
The following holidays are federal holidays in the United States
About Federal Holidays
The previous listed holidays are Federal holidays (also known as Legal or Public Holidays) and they have been designated as holidays for federal employees. Each state are not required to observe federal holidays but most states do also observe these holidays.
If the Federal Holiday Falls On Saturday or Sunday
- If the Federal Holiday falls on a Saturday, then the federal holiday is on the previous Friday.
- If the Federal Holiday falls on a Sunday, then the federal holiday is on the Monday.
What is Closed on Federal Holidays
- Non-essential federal government offices are closed.
- The US Post Office is closed and there is no mail delivery
- Most banks are closed
- State offices and schools may be open but most close.